Friday, September 09, 2005

South African Wine

…is delicious and CHEAP! If I hadn’t already pledged my alloted addiction to the three Cs (Chocolate, Coffee and the CBC) I fear I might become an alcoholic. I take a glass of red with dinner each night as it is (my goal while I’m here is to sample every bottle in the grocery store priced at $6 or less), and the CBC strike is sorely testing my resolve to hold the line there. Removing it from the list and replacing it with “Cabernet” has crossed my mind more than once.

As far as I know, all of South Africa's wine comes from the Cape region (there are over 200 winery's within a day's drive of Stellensboch), where it has been produced since the mid-1600s. My favorites so far have been"pinotage" - perhaps someone better informed could tell me if this is unique to SA - which is a blend of Pinot Noir and Cinsault (once known as Hermitage) or Shiraz.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pip, I am sure that you are busy with your new job, new living arrangements, long distance relationship etc. but I think you need to move this BLOG up on your priority list. Kyle updates his website more often and he is walking across the country for goodness sakes! Last I heard (though the information on the BLOG is updated so infrequently it is hard to say) you worked in an office. This office presumably has a computer and internet access...

The infrequency of posts aside, I have thoroughly enjoyed your entries. Funny that our vices are the same. Never realized that they all started with C... thinking of replacing my CBC with swimming - oh that doesn't start with a C... Thank goodness

Miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home